Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Deconstruction

One of the new favorite activities around here is dismantling old, broken machines. Armed with screwdrivers and pliers, the kids have taken apart a tape deck, a turntable, and a fan, all scavenged curbside in Brooklyn, and are eagerly clamoring for more.

My kids were already in a phase of being extra fascinated with electricity, thanks to a book on the topic my husband saved from the rubbish heap at the town dump near our upstate cabin. So taking apart actual machines could hardly be more satisfying to them. It's at once a treasure hunt ("I found the motor!") and an outlet for kids' more destructive impulses; it allows them to use grown-up tools, which is always exciting; it helps impart an intuitive sense of how things actually work.

For me, this pursuit has had a considerable fringe benefit, in that it has gotten my kids enthused about garage sales and thrift stores. We happily roamed the Catskills over Labor Day weekend, finding old Walkmans for 25 cents, blenders for 50 cents, and toasters for a buck. We assembled quite a stockpile of cool junk, which we can look forward to disassembling during the fast-approaching housebound days of winter.

5 comments:

Belisama said...

I love doing this! Back when I was teaching computer technology at the elementary level, we used to disassemble outdated PCs. The kids loved getting all decked out in lab coats, gloves and goggles and going at the things with screwdrivers. My rule was: "We are not breaking it, we are taking it apart." (Just don't do this with CRT monitors or TV's!)

Chris
http://craftyteacher.blogspot.com

Single PAP said...

hi. i found your blog from kyle and owen's blog. i am getting some great ideas that i can use in the preschool where i teach! thanks!

Single PAP said...

hi. i found your blog from kyle and owen's blog. i am getting some great ideas that i can use in the preschool where i teach! thanks!

Leslie Kauffman said...

Thanks, Chris, for pointing out something I should have noted myself: Don't take apart computer monitors or televisions! Toxic, toxic, toxic.

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

This is Caroline from SocialRank.


I am trying to get in touch with you but couldn't find your email address.


We're launching a new Web 2.0 site dedicated to Kids craft and we have started indexing your blog posts as part of our

content filter.

I'd like to send you an invite to a beta preview. Can you get back to me with your email address.

Mine is caroline@craftyrascal.com

Kind regards,


Caroline

www.SocialRank.com