Thursday, October 18, 2007

Harvest Smash

There are good reasons why people have not traditionally gardened on the tops of mountains. I'm rather amazed that we managed to grow any edible food at all in our 3000-foot-elevation Catskill garden this summer; I was not surprised that a bunch of what we grew was simply inedible.

So what do you do with a big surplus of hard, flavorless tomatoes and mealy-tasting melons? Get some friends together and let the kids experiment with the marvelous force of gravity, of course!

This week's harvest smash was so much fun, I can hardly wait until our jack-o-lanterns start to rot ....






8 comments:

Jac said...

That looks like sooo much fun - what a great idea! I wish we could have been there! Hope the Met was nice yesterday - and that we'll see you next week :)
jac

Benny said...

I had so much fun. Smash, smash, smash!

Unknown said...

Awesome. I love your site. A bunch of my friends link to it from my blog. Keep up the great work.

Anonymous said...

Someone just turned me on to your site. Really enjoy your POV.

Kelly Corrigan
(author of The Middle Place)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenny Gillespie said...

Please keep writing! This is such an excellent blog.

Anonymous said...

Look!!! what a funny children... I think they are very happy with all of their activities.